Click Here to Get One for Yourself

Saturday, January 6, 2007

Karma's Return

Karma is a funny thing. You make an innocent comment one day and the next thing you know it rears its ugly head and kicks you in the teeth, usually when you least expect it.
One day recently I was talking with friends and wished out loud that I had taken a week or so off during the holidays for myself (strike 1). I have 8 weeks of vacation time coming and thought in hindsight it would have been good to take a few "me" days. Next thing you know I was stating my opinion that all the hoopla on the news about norovirus was overkill - it's just the stomach flu after all, not the plague (strike 2!). Thursday, I tipped the scales again. I mentioned to a co-worker - OUT LOUD, mind you - that I hadn't been sick since I started the diet almost exactly a year ago (STEEEEE-RIKE 3!!!!!!!).
Karma woke me early Friday morning with a major bellyache, the unmistakable beginning to a long miserable day and a righteous bout of some sort of GI virus. I will spare you the details, but it was not pretty. I spent my day either laying in bed or hanging out in the bathroom. Every joint in my body ached and after sleeping until 3pm, I worked up the gumption to shower about 5, then required a nap to recover. We went to bed about 9:30 and I slept until 9:30 this morning! I awoke feeling about 80% and my symptoms finally resolved about noon.
I rode the trainer for an hour and a half or so this afternoon while watching a movie, Happy Endings. The movie was OK, not great but watchable. It felt really great to be doing something physical after being such a slug for a day and a half.
We ordered RoadIDs tonight, something I have been meaning to do for a while. I get a kick out of the coincidence that the guys who run the company are Ed and Mike Wimmer. Maybe it's just coincidence but I decided it was time to stop tempting fate and order one, just in case karma decides to take another stab at me!

No comments:


View My Stats

Calculate your Calories