Click Here to Get One for Yourself

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Happy Nurses Day! (and a race report)

Well we did our first 10K race tonight after work, the Meriter Nurses Day Run. We left right after work (to get there in time to register - I forgot to get us pre-registered for this one - Oops!).
The race began behind the Vilas Zoo in Madison and wound around behind Edgewood College, around the golf course and through the arboretum. It was uphill the first half and mostly downhill on the second half, which was a nice break. It was shady and pretty, keeping us pretty cool despite the near 80 temps. In the arboretum, I had a pack of turkeys (what is the plural for turkeys - flock? gaggle? I don't really know....) that was across the street in the brush and I worried for a time they might swarm me and start throwing spurs as they started to run parallel to me along the other side of the road, but they eventually stopped and stayed put.
When I reached the mile marker for mile 4, in my head I mistakenly thought I had only a mile left to go and a lot of gas in the tank so I took off as fast as I could go. As I was running that mile, I redid the math in my head and realized that there were TWO+ miles left and so I slowed it up a little until I got to mile marker 5. (mental note: never rely on math done in your head while trying to run fast , especially when cursed with a fuzzy math gene.) After that, I took off and ran the last 1.2 miles as fast as I could.
I am feeling pretty good about the race. My Garmin time was 1:10:04, no official results are posted that I can find yet. I finished it, I did my best, I had fun, I managed to pass at least 6 people, in fact all of them I set in my mind to play cat and mouse with, and - BONUS - I was injury-free (this was the same course I sprained my ankle on in September at the Zoo Run Run).
Today is national Nurses Day. Take a minute next time you see a nurse and thank her/him for all they do to help make/keep you healthy. Like everyone else, we work hard for too little appreciation sometimes and it's good to hear that we have made a difference in someone's life.

UPDATE: The official results are up and can be found by clicking here. The highlights are:
286/294 overall, 46/50 age group, 145/152 female, 11:17 pace, 1:09:44 chip time.

5 comments:

Pat said...

You beat my first 10 k by a minute. and. . .

Thank you for being a nurse.

pat
arizona, usa

S. Baboo said...

Nice race...injury free is good it has taken me three years to pull that one off.

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK! And Nurses Rule. Rock'n'Rule, baby!
:)

Anonymous said...

I'm a beginner runner and found your blog (and your husband's) while looking for race results.

All I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

I'm really happy for you. Even though I don't need to lose a lot of weight, I can honestly say you two are a real inspiration. I've already signed up for the June 2 race for the cure 5k and looking forward to the day when I can do a 10k.

Keep up the good work! WOW!!!!

Collin Kromke said...

Jenny - I've been following your blog for a while, and thought you might find it fun to know that I also ran my first 10K when I ran the Nurse's Run! I finished in 277th place, just 0:54 behind Mike, so I wasn't far ahead of you. Thanks for all the inspiration you provide with your posts. ~Collin (Sun Prairie)


View My Stats

Calculate your Calories