Click Here to Get One for Yourself

Monday, December 3, 2007

Taking my life in my Hands


Today, I spent the day trying to figure out if it were possible to run outside. I scoped out the sidewalks and streets as I drove to work. I checked out the windows of the 5th Floor where I work. How icy is too icy? How well did my friends and neighbors shovel? Saturday we got dealt an icy mess. First there was snow. Followed by sleet, then freezing rain, then slush. Made for a yucky slippery mess, and people did their best to scrape the crap off their walks with varying degrees of success. (mini RANT: I can't stand it when people think it's OK to not shovel at all - no attempt- I know you were home, I saw your tire tracks!! Just plain lazy and dangerous!)

I am also working on a training plan to get ready for my first marathon in May and them 2 Half-Irons later in the summer. The training plan started um.... yesterday. What did I do yesterday? A whole lot of nothing. I went shopping and folded laundry, but I don't think that qualifies as cardio. So today I was itching to do something - I can't get off track ALREADY!

When I got home from work, I made the decision to run outside. I laced up the kicks, bundled up and took off, flashers on my arm bands and miners light in my back pocket. Much of the run I had to run in the street, although the parking lanes were mostly as icy as the walkways . I had to slow down lots not because I was tired, but because I didn't want to spin ass over teakettle down the sidewalk like a curling stone. My goal pace according to RWOL Smart Coach was 13:19/mi (I think that's wrong - don't think even I can run that slow), so my 12:04 avg pace was not too bad. Actually it wasn't too bad for me WITHOUT the ice lately......

When I got home, I got my butt cheeks thawed out, then hopped on the spinner to make up for a part of yesterday's planned bike that I blew off. Punished myself for another half hour or so with some drills : sprints, SLPs, standups, and so on.

Tomorrow: SWAT swim

Wed: Another after work run (Supposed to snow, so maybe will try spin class instead)

Thurs: SWAT swim

Fri: Spinner and yoga

Sat/Sun: Some other sort of self-punishment for extended periods of time - a long run and bike of some sort.

7 comments:

Pat said...

I'm guilty. I haven't shoveled my walk in 12 years.

good luck on your marathon.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

"shopping and folded laundry" I checked for you and it can not be used as cardio.

But the good news is that apparently you are good for cross training.

Anonymous said...

Way to persevere in the snow! I'm trying really hard to keep running this month...I always seem to slack in Dec. with all the holiday stuff.

"Some other sort of self-punishment for extended periods of time"...that made me laugh :)

Jeff said...

Good for you getting out there and running. (I'm jealous, you know!)

Oly said...

You need to work on your self esteem, I mean 5 cents for your bootah seems a little bit on the low side. :)

Bigun said...

good plan...stick to it now!

Tri-Dummy said...

Nice pic!


View My Stats

Calculate your Calories